In this role, the Trademark Paralegal will support multiple attorneys. Hanson Bridgett’s trademark group is responsible for the growth and management of significant trademark portfolios for clients ranging from startups to major brands. The paralegal assists attorneys in the clearance and prosecution of U.S. and foreign trademarks on behalf of the firm's clients, manages domestic and foreign trademarks, and assists in investigations relating to trademarks. Paralegals also assist with trademark enforcement, trademark disputes, and with copyright prosecution. The ideal candidate will have a paralegal certificate and between 3-12 years experience of trademark paralegal experience with an emphasis on US trademark matters and international trademark portfolio management. (While we are primarily focused on finding a more experienced paralegal, we welcome highly intelligent and motivated paralegals at the lower end of this range to apply.) This individual will report to the Director of Professional Development and will work closely with partners, associates, other paralegals, and the docketing specialist in the Intellectual Property Practice Group. This role offers the opportunity to work from a remote location on days when in-person attendance is not required, and as agreed upon by the direct supervisor. It is an essential function of any hybrid role that the employee be available to attend in-person meetings, professional development sessions or to come to the office for other reasons, if the need arises. This position requires that the individual reside in California, and be designated in either our Los Angeles, San Francisco, San Rafael, Sacramento or Walnut Creek office locations.
Essential Responsibilities and Duties
- Coordinate with attorneys and other paralegals in filing, prosecuting, and maintaining domestic and foreign trademark applications and registrations
- Support enforcement matters including assistance with social media takedowns
- Conduct trademark searches
- Assist with or investigate possible infringements and third party uses
- Prepare and file copyright applications
- Work under close supervision to complete routine tasks and assume additional responsibilities, as appropriate
Required Skills and Abilities
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited four year college/university
- Paralegal Certificate from ABA-approved paralegal program
- California B&P 6450 compliance documentation
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills; positive attitude; focused and ambitious
- Must be able to work both independently and collaboratively in deadline-driven environment with attorneys, other paralegals and administrative professionals
- Proficiency in electronic filing with USPTO/TTAB and power of attorney legalization
- Significant experience specifically with international trademark portfolios preferred
- Experience with docketing software is a plus
- Working knowledge of copyrights is a plus
Hanson Bridgett offers a competitive salary and benefits package. The annual salary for this California-based role is anticipated to be in the area of $75,000-$140,000, and represents the firm’s good faith and reasonable estimate of possible compensation at the time of posting. Actual compensation is negotiable, and will depend upon a number of factors, including but not limited to, the candidate’s years of experience, qualifications, and skill set.
Application materials must include:
• Cover Letter
Direct applicants only.